From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: reiserfsprogs
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 15:53:48
1 Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. <bss03 <at> volumehost.net> writes:
4 > > > > and provided you have enabled CONFIG_MAGIC_SYSRQ in your kernel,
5 > > > > hold down Alt and SysReq/PrtScr and press S, U and B in turn to
6 > > > > reboot (reasonably) cleanly. Pausing a couple of seconds between
7 > > > > each key is probably a good idea.
8
9 Kernel Hacking:
10 CONFIG_MAGIC_SYSRQ=y
13 > > Interesting idea however this laptop does not have this key
14 > > "SysReq/PrtScr".
15
16 > Every keyboard has a SysRq button. On most, it is shared with PrtScrn.
17 > However, I've also seen it shared with either an F key or ScrollLock or by
18 > itself. Also, I've seen laptops where you had to hold the Fn key to get a
19 > key that acts like SysRq.
20
21 > I guarantee you've got one, although I suppose it might not be labeled
22 > SysRq at all.
23
24 OK, sorry; between being very tired and aging eyes, I had to use
25 a magnifying glass and found these 2 keys:
26 "home/prt sc" and "end/sys rq" the bottom ones look like function key
27 markings...(tiny font)
28
29 So When X/kde freezes up everything I'm going to hold down these (3) keys:
30 ALT+FUNCKEY+SYSRQ"
31 and then Sequentially press "E I S U B" with a 2 second delay between
32 keystokes
33 and the system will cleanly reboot?
34
35 This failed to work for me. After it hung, I tried the above and
36 many variations on this theme of keystroke to reboot. Nothing worked.
37 However, upon powercycle reboot, the system came back clean
38 with no fsck..... Maybe this keystroke sequence clean up everything,
39 but failed to initiate a reboot?
42 Well, with no changes to the system or config files ,
43 this time X/kde failed to launch, or I guess
44 I should say the screen went black (dark) and just latched up the
45 system completely, all remote ssh session and the console LATCHED UP.
46
47 Repeatable now so KDE now launches to a dark (latched up) screen
48 now. When I boot to a console, the system is fine. When I launch
49 X/kde via startx it latches up immediately....
52 I have no idea how to figure out this problem. To me it has to be
53 the xorg.conf file?
61 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list