From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: what audio file format / container to play on Android.
Date: Sat, 02 Jul 2016 12:31:22
1 > On 2 Jul 2016, at 10:43, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > Since the youtube-dl can only download the audio stream as suggested above,
4 > you don't need to transcode with ffmpeg - although it is not difficult to do so
5 > for streams you have already downloaded:
6 >
7 > ffmpeg -i input.mp4 -q:a 0 -map a output.mp3
8
9 Yeah, but I'd obviously prefer not to transcode, because that's lossy.
10
11 > or output.m4a if you prefer.
12
13 Well, I tried that.
14
15 youtube-dl -x --audio-format best http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07fl5bh
16
17 This gives an .m4a file which also does not play on the device.
18
19 The question may boil down to the Google Drive audio / video player, and its (in)ability to play AAC audio. But that would be surprising, don't you think?
20
21 > As an alternative for BBC you could also use get_iplayer:
22 >
23 > get_iplayer --get XXXX --radiomode=flashaachigh --
24 > flvstreamer="/usr/bin/flvstreamer"
25
26 I'm reluctant to do that at present, because I have a "perfectly good" audio stream already.
27
28 The .mp4 or .m4a files I have play just fine in VLC or Quicktime Player.
29
30 I assumed that it should only be necessary to repack the audio into a different container to get it to play.
31
32 In my experience most players conform to Postel's Principle, being liberal in the input they'll accept. When I've had media playback problems before, I think it's usually been a container issue.
33
34 Stroller.