From: Tomas Mozes <tomas.mozes@××××.sk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Picking dom0 OS for new XEN server
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2015 07:49:48
1 On 2015-01-22 08:32, Håkon Alstadheim wrote:
2 > Pondering dom0 os for new Xen server (Xeon e5 2620 v3 cpu) . Server is
3 > for home use. (routing/firewall; dns/dhcp, mail servers, etc. etc;
4 > linux gui desktop; linux media-server; windows as separate domains).
5 >
6 > I have basic skills in debian, and gentoo. A bit rusty on the
7 > rpm-based distros. Totally unfamiliar with *BSD. Total newbie in XEN
8 >
9 > So, given this list is bound to be a bit biased, : why would I pick
10 > gentoo for dom0, and what version of XEN would I use ?
11
12 Picking gentoo for dom0 is probably the same question as "why would I
13 use gentoo instead of other linux distribution". Me personally have very
14 good experience in running xen dom0 machines on gentoo. If you separate
15 your dom0 machine and the services are in domUs, then the dom0 is very
16 small, clean and easy to maintain (for years). Ask on the debian list
17 and I'm sure they will answer the same way so it's your choice ;)
18
19 If it's a new server you may try the new 4.5 release. I don't know how
20 stable it is, I just started my first VM on 4.5 today, but I'm running
21 4.3 in production and 4.4 in pre-production. Since you don't need to
22 migrate in production, it's not a problem I believe.