From: Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] resuming emerges
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 04:02:21
1 On Fri, 2006-03-24 at 03:58 +0100, Rick van Hattem wrote:
2 > On Friday 24 March 2006 02:46, TN wrote:
3 > > Hi all,
4 > > I see that emerge has a resume option - but it only compiles from where
5 > > the the previous emerge was stopped and when you issue a resume, it
6 > > starts at the beginning of the next package to be emerged.
7 > >
8 > > Is it possible to get emerge to continue from where the actual compile
9 > > was broken (ie. not recompile from the package beginning, but rather
10 > > from within the package itself ?)
11 > > I find a constant problem in that large packages take so long to
12 > > compile, that I need to shutdown my laptop before an emerge is complete
13 > > (to go home or whatever), and then I have to start from the beginning
14 > > again.....OO takes around 6 hours for me, and it seems that this would
15 > > be reasonable to implement so that emerges could be resumed from the
16 > > last source file where the compilation was halted ?
17 > > The option should be able to ask emerge to start compiling the package
18 > > without un-compressing and cleaning up the last compile I'd assume.
19 > >
20 > No, that's not really possible.
21
22 oh yes it is :>
23
24 You can edit /etc/make.conf and add noclean to your FEATURES. This way
25 the temporary stuff in /var/tmp/portage (or wherever it is) will stay
26 behind, and you can say `emerge --resume` and it will continue.
27
28 HOWEVER: the side effect is that /var/tmp/portage will get very large.
29 I recommend that you say:
30
31 FEATURES=noclean emerge -u openoffice
32 FEATURES=noclean emerge --resume
33
34 just for the specific build you want it for.
35
36 > However, you can use ccache to save the compilations and you could put the
37 > laptop in standby to continue after moving it.
38
39 This is also a good idea.
40
41 > But I'm affraid those are your only options.
42
43 not so.
44
45 You could also install openoffice-bin.
46
47 You could even setup hibernate, so that you don't have to shutdown.
48 Just hibernate your laptop, and when it starts up again the emerge will
49 continue like it never stopped.
50
51 HTH,
55 Tobacco is a filthy weed,
56 That from the devil does proceed;
57 It drains your purse, it burns your clothes,
58 And makes a chimney of your nose.
59 -- B. Waterhouse
62 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list