From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Something strange with use flags
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2018 17:04:55
1 gevisz wrote:
2 > чт, 22 нояб. 2018 г. в 17:55, Corentin “Nado” Pazdera <nado@××××××××××.be>:
3 >> November 22, 2018 4:41 PM, "gevisz" <gevisz@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>
5 >>> After recent bug with changed Xorg-server suid use flag,
6 >>> I became very suspicious about spontanеous use flag
7 >>> shanges during system update and check them all.
8 >>>
9 >>> Today, I noticed the following attemped to change use flags
10 >>> in my Gentoo system during update:
11 >>>
12 >>> # emerge --update --deep --with-bdeps=y --newuse --backtrack=120 --ask world
13 >>>
14 >>> These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
15 >>>
16 >>> Calculating dependencies... done!
17 >>> [ebuild R ] dev-util/ninja-1.8.2 USE="(-zsh-completion%)"
18 >>> [ebuild R ] media-video/ffmpeg-3.3.6 USE="(-celt%)"
19 >>> [ebuild R ] media-video/vlc-3.0.4 USE="(-schroedinger%)"
20 >>>
21 >>> The problem is that
22 >>> $ equery uses ffmpeg
23 >>> and
24 >>> $ equery uses vlc
25 >>> commands show no celt and schroedinger use flags at all.
26 >>>
27 >>> Why?
28 >> Because they are not in the ebuild IUSE anymore (hence the %).
29 >>
30 >> From man emerge
31 >>> % suffix newly added or removed
32 > Ok. Why these packages should be rebuild then if the corresponding
33 > use flags just do not exit?
37 The percent symbol shows that it is changing.  Odds are, that USE flag
38 was in a earlier version but has been removed since.  Depending on
39 options used on the emerge command, it will pick up those changes and
40 rebuild the package.  I've seen times where what used to be a option no
41 longer is and the USE flag doesn't matter anymore because the package
42 has to build with whatever the flag triggers.  Sometimes it is the other
43 way around.  The USE flag doesn't matter because that function may be
44 done by another package and is no longer needed in that package.
45
46 When I do upgrades, I to use emerge options to pick up on those
47 changes.  I just go through the list looking for what has changed and
48 what specific packages I installed are being upgraded.  If I see a USE
49 flag change and I don't know what it does, I use euse -i <USE flag> to
50 see what it does.  Generally speaking, it ends up being nothing but on
51 occasion it could add a feature I do or do not want.  Then I can
52 disable/enable the USE flag either globally or for that one package.
53
54 Hope that helps.
55
56 Dale