From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o, "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [gentoo-dev-announce] Last rites: app-text/xpdf
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2012 03:25:54
1 On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 9:58 PM, Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net> wrote:
2 > 120127 Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
3 >> # Andreas K. Hüttel <dilfridge@g.o> (27 Jan 2012)
4 >> # Has developed into an unmaintainable mess, and everyone who
5 >> # knows about it is either retired or missing in action.
6 >> # Several minor bugs and one ugly security issues (#386271).
7 >> # Masked for removal because of lack of maintainer.
8 >
9 > I use Xpdf frequently & have no problem with it.
10 > The security bug you cite says there is a newer version 3.03
11 > which fixes at least some of the security problems.
12 > If you limit yourself sensibly to PDFs from known reliable sites,
13 > you won't run into the problem in Bug 386271 AFAIK.
14 > The bug I submitted is minor & has a workaround, which I use.
15 >
16 > Is there an alternative which doesn't require eg 'kdelibs' or similar ?
17 > In my netbook, Xpdf is the only method I have of reading PDFs,
18 > as I use Fluxbox & don't have KDE installed at all.
19 >
20 > There is a fork of some kind at  https://github.com/rbrito/xpdf-poppler ,
21 > which is given as the contact by 'eix'.
22 >
23 > I very much hope there is at least an alternative
24 > or otherwise some reconsideration of removing Xpdf from Gentoo.
25
26 I use evince, myself.
29 :wq