From: Indi <thebeelzebubtrigger@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Any bought a laptop that "Just Works"?
Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2011 17:58:08
1 On Sun, Apr 03, 2011 at 07:20:02PM +0200, Robin Atwood wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 30 March 2011, Robin Atwood wrote:
3 >
4 > > I am in the market for a new laptop and would be interested if anyone
5 > else
6 >
7 > > on the list had recently bought a laptop in which all the hardware
8 > worked
9 >
10 > > out of the box with Linux. I am most concerned about
11 > WiFi/audio/webcam,
12 >
13 > > the finer points of hibernation are of lesser concern. Currently I
14 > have a
15 >
16 > > "Linux Certified" machine but I want to avoid shipping costs to the
17 > UK.
18 >
19 > Thanks to everyone who replied. The overwhelming choice seems to be a
20 > ThinkPad so I have just ordered a T510 with a Core i7, 4GB of 1033 RAM
21 > and a 1600x900 screen Now I can't wait for it to be delivered. :)
22 >
23 > Hopefully this thread will be useful to other users.
24 >
25 > Cheers
26 >
27 > -Robin.
28 >
29 > --
30 >
31 > ----------------------------------------------------------------------
32 >
33 > Robin Atwood.
34 >
35 > "Ship me somewheres east of Suez, where the best is like the worst,
36 >
37 > Where there ain't no Ten Commandments an' a man can raise a thirst"
38 >
39 > from "Mandalay" by Rudyard Kipling
40 >
42
43 Everything runs on the thinkpad, I even had mine running
44 plan9 for awhile. :)
47 /\ /\
48 <\ />
49 ^