From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@×××××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] experiences with zfsonlinux?
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2012 20:30:37
1 Am 2012-12-28 18:52, schrieb Volker Armin Hemmann:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > so in the Good/better/best filesystem for large, static video
5 > library? thread zfs was mentioned, since I just ordered 3 new hdd to
6 > replace the current 5 in my box (3 in raid5, 2 in raid1
7 > configuration), I asked myself: instead of raid5+xfs or ext4 or
8 > whatever else that might be a sane solution, why not try zfs?
9
10 Sure, go ahead :-)
11
12 > But - there aren't so many first hand accounts on people using the
13 > spl+zfs kernel modules on linux.
14 >
15 > Anybody done it? Any caveats?
16
17 I used it in a former server in my basement, right now the zfs-pool is
18 out of order simply because I have no SATA-ports available right now
19 (broken mainboard etc)
20
21 It is the equivalent of a RAID1 mirror, 2 disks in a tank.
22
23 As you may have researched already it is not necessary to partition the
24 disks, back then it was recommended to create the pool/mirror by using
25 the /dev/disk/by-id/ device-notation.
26
27 That pool worked very well for me and even caught SATA-related errors
28 with the occasional scrub-run here and then.
29
30 I even was able to migrate that mirror from zfs-fuse to zfs-on-linux
31 without any problems.
32
33 As soon as I have a box with enough hdd-bays again I will re-import that
34 pool for sure.
35
36 Good luck, Stefan