To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Mounting Question...
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 14:58:02
1 Dirk Heinrichs <dirk.heinrichs@××××××.de> wrote:
2
3 > Here is what I would recommend for a normal linux system:
4 >
5 > [hs]da1: /boot, 64M, ext2
6 > [hs]da2: /, 256M, ext3 or xfs
7 > [hs]da3: LVM
8
9 I used to use something like this for a long time as well,
10 but I think it was Neil from this list, who made me think
11 about that - what's the use of /boot here? Why a seperate
12 /boot partition?
13
14 Anyway, I now stopped using a seperate /boot and "integrated"
15 it with /, so that I only need to have this:
16
17 [hs]da1: /, 512m, ext3, reiserfs or maybe xfs
18 [hs]da2: swap, size as needed
19 [hs]da3: LVM
20
21 I don't have swap on LVM, as I'd like to do suspend-to-disk,
22 which is easier to do with an old-style partition. And I
23 also don't resize my swap partition. But if I'd need *additional*
24 swap, I'd create that as a LV on LVM - it's just the "primary"
25 SWAP, which I like to keep off-LVM.
26
27 Regards,
28