From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] udev-191 bit me. Insufficient ptys
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 04:48:18
1 On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 10:45 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 9:35 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> So, I botched the upgrade to udev-191. I thought I'd followed the
4 >> steps, but I apparently only covered them for one machine, not both.
5 >>
6 >> The news item instructions specified that I had to remove
7 >> udev-postmount from my runlevels. I didn't have udev-postmount in my
8 >> runlevels, so I didn't remove it. Turns out, that dictum also applies
9 >> to udev-mount. So after removing that[1], I was able to at least boot
10 >> again.
11 >>
12 >> Udev also complained about DEVTMPFS not being enabled in the
13 >> kernel.[2] I couldn't get into X, but I could log in via getty and a
14 >> plain old vt, so I enabled it, rebuilt the kernel, installed it and
15 >> rebooted...and now that's presumably covered.
16 >>
17 >> I'm now able to get into X, but when I try to run an xterm, it fails.
18 >> Checking ~/.xsession_errors, I find:
19 >>
20 >> xterm: Error 32, error 2: No such file or directory
21 >> Reason: get_pty: not enough ptys
22 >
23 > Do you have CONFIG_LEGACY_PTYS=y? If so, do you really need it? A
24 > little over a year ago[1] I had an annoying issue for having that
25 > option enabled in my kernel, with a lot of virtual ttys reported in
26 > systemctl. This is a shot in the dark (I really don't know if it's
27 > related to your problem), but perhaps having the LEGACY_PTYS option
28 > enabled somehow depleted your available pseudo terminals (which any X
29 > terminal needs to run)? I suppose screen is also out of the question
30 > for the same reason.
31
32 Also related, if you have LEGACY_PTYS:
33
34 "LEGACY_PTY_COUNT:
35
36 The maximum number of legacy PTYs that can be used at any one time.
37 The default is 256, and should be more than enough. Embedded
38 systems may want to reduce this to save memory.
39
40 When not in use, each legacy PTY occupies 12 bytes on 32-bit
41 architectures and 24 bytes on 64-bit architectures."
42
43 Regards
44 --
45 Canek Peláez Valdés