From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [offtopic] dual boot Windows 11 / Linux
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2022 16:01:48
1 On Sunday, 10 April 2022 14:58:26 BST Серега Филатов wrote:
2 > If it's a similar laptop I assume you have grub2 installed in EFI mode.
3 > Check if you have grubx64.efi in your EFI partition (usually /<mounted EFI
4 > partition>/EFI/gentoo/).
5 > Also check if you have efi boot entry for grub with efibootmgr utility. if
6 > grub-install with EFI target was used on a new system it should call
7 > efibootmgr to add a Gentoo entry in UEFI).
8 >
9 > If you are trying to install grub in legacy mode then look in UEFI settings
10 > if CSM or legacy boot is enabled. But since you have win11 and you want
11 > dual boot I don't think that it's what you want. Os-prober will not pick up
12 > EFI win11 installation if grub is installed in legacy and you can't install
13 > win11 in legacy since Microsoft made win11 UEFI-only.
14
15 Some UEFI firmware is buggy and may not pick up a new OS bootloader in the ESP,
16 at least not pick it up initially. In these cases temporarily changing a UEFI
17 setting to nudge the firmware to parse the ESP for boot menu entries will help.
18 So /should/ running the efibootmgr to create an entry with grub's efi image.