From: Robert Szentmihalyi <robert.szentmihalyi@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Michael Schreckenbauer <grimlog@×××.de>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Very bad system response
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 09:18:46
1 On Tuesday 06 February 2007 21:29, Michael Schreckenbauer wrote:
2 > Hi List,
3
4 Hi Michael,
5
6 Good to see yoou on the Gentoo list! :-)
7
8 > I have a very strange thing here. I don't know when this started, but my
9 > feeling is, that it was around kernel 2.6.15 and it's getting worse with
10 > each version.
11 > From time to time my system comes to a complete halt, that means not a
12 > single application shows any response to mouse and/or keyactions, sshing
13 > into it takes forever. After a while (up to ~30s ) normal reaction is back
14 > again. Strange thing is, there is no activity at the times this happens.
15 > Reading email and browsing the web is all that is needed. CPU is at 3-5%
16 > according to top, mem has ~1GB free according to free.
17 > I can somehow force this behaviour by doing some harddisc io, eg untaring a
18 > kernel-tarball. But it does not happen everytime I do this.
19 > This is really, really annoying. I have no idea, if this is a kernel, a FS
20 > or any other issue. Any help with this is most welcome.
21 > Some additional info: fs is xfs, kernel is 2.6.19-gentoo-r4 and I'm a
22 > KDE-User, but this also happens with xfce4 ;)
23
24 I had this problem back with older 2.6 kernels and the problem turned out to
25 be caused by XFS.
26 XFS is not a good choice for a desktop, as for my experience.
27 I bet the problem will be gone once you switch to ReiserFS or ext3.
32 > Thanks,
33 > Michael
34
35 Cheers,