From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Beta test Gentoo with mdev instead of udev; version 5 - failure :-(
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2012 09:08:35
1 On Fri, 16 Mar 2012 07:13:46 +0100, Joost Roeleveld wrote:
2
3 > Auto-starting programs when a device is added. Great, when are we
4 > getting "autostart" support for CDs and USB-keys and under which
5 > user-account will these be executed?
8 This is for running programs from the computer against the device, not
9 autorunning programs on the device - such as initialising USB modems.
10
11 > That is, untill someone comes up with the "clever" idea of shoving an
12 > automounter into udev. (Will it then also auto-unmount when I want my
13 > CD back?)
14
15 That's already been done,
16
17 * sys-apps/uam
18 Available versions: 0.2.1 (~)0.3
19 Homepage: https://github.com/mgorny/uam/
21 media
22
23 I also have a rule on a headless media server to run a script that
24 mounts a USB stick, copies files to it, unmounts it and lets me know when
25 it is done. I can mark files for copying at any time and my wife can just
26 plug in a stick when she wants to copy them for viewing on a small,
27 non-connected TV by her treadmill (her treadmill, I emphasise - I find a
28 keyboard and trackball give me all the exercise I want).
32 Neil Bothwick
33
34 New Intel opcode #007 PUKE: Put unmeaningful keywords everywhere