From: Helmut Jarausch <jarausch@××××××.be>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Virtualbox documentation
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2016 15:30:38
1 On 12/07/2016 11:01:16 PM, Bertram Scharpf wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > arrgh! I just want to find a quick-start tutorial for
5 > Virtualbox on Gentoo, but Google shows up loads of tutorials
6 > for Gentoo in a Virtualbox. The Gentoo Wiki article's
7 > "Usage" paragraph does not contain any usable information.
8 >
9 > Does anybody have a hint for me?
10
11 I had similar problems when I used a version of Virtualbox which was
12 "too old" for my kernel.
13 I'd recommend using the very latest release of Virtualbox, e.g. 5.1.10,
14 although I had problems
15 with that on very recent kernels (4.9-rc*), so that I downgraded to
16 version 5.1.8.
17 Both version don't build/run correctly for these kernels without a
18 patch which I have posted on my bug report.
19
20 My patched version seems to be stable on my new kernel and Windows 10.