From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: rsync internal mirror configuration
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 15:26:52
1 Dave Nebinger <dnebinger <at> joat.com> writes:
4 > > > and last run this daily on the server to keep it current?
5 > > > emerge -uDva world && repcacheman
6
7 > I forgot to mention that if your primary system is using the http replicator
8 > then it shouldn't be necessary to run repcacheman after each emerge.
9 > Repcacheman will a) ensure that packages retrieved via ftp are available
10 > from the cache and b) remove packages from the cache that are too old. This
11 > can easily be run as a monthly task if you primarily retrieve packages via
12 > http and not ftp.
16 Dave,
17
18 Your last 2 emails have given me much to think about. Give me some time to
19 finish the implementation, and digest all you have written.
20
21 I guess I have to run emerge sync and emerge -uD world on each client still,
22 but they use the http replicator instead of gentoo servers.... for both
23 updating the portage/rsync files and downloading the distfiles (via the http
24 replicator)?
25
26 That's OK, I like keeping it manual for now.
27 But I can rsync and 'emerge update' as many systems per day as I like now.
28
29 On the server, the emerge sync is automated via the /etc/crontab entry:
30 30 1 * * * root emerge sync 2<&1
31
32 I still have to run 'emerge -uD world' on the server/workstation
33 manually each day?
37 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list