From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: CUPS - Some apps see printers, some do not
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 04:08:18
1 On 02/23/2010 06:23 PM, Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 > I'm looking around in vain for info on why some apps (Open Office
4 > apps for instance) see printers while other apps (Evolution and
5 > Firefox for instance) do not. Apps that don't work seem to offer print
6 > to file and print to LPR. On the other hand Open Office provides only
7 > the obscenely ugly CUPS printer name
8 > "HP_LaserJet_M1522nf_MFP_192.168.1.5".
9
10 Ugly? I think it's quite fetching, really. Are you sure you're a real
11 computer nerd?
12
13 I have an HP LaserJet 3015 that works with everything in my gnome DE,
14 but IIRC I struggled until I discovered the net-print/hplip package,
15 which is the opensource driver supplied by HP. It does everything
16 including faxing, printing, and high-res color scanning all from my
17 HP multi-function printer.
18
19 Does your dad's machine have that package installed and configured?