From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] SSD partitioning and migration
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2013 10:10:43
1 Mick wrote:
2 > On Sunday 21 Jul 2013 10:40:11 Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> Actually, portage looks for enough space before even starting and still
5 >> does. However, when I force it to ignore it, it stops and says it ran
6 >> out of space. I'd just rather it didn't use swap anyway. Either way,
7 >> OOo and LOo used to need lots of space. I think there was some code
8 >> cleanup and maybe some other changes that reduced that a lot. I think
9 >> there was also some gcc changes to but not sure on that.
10 >>
11 >> I did some more searching after my last post, at one point it looked for
12 >> at least 12GBs from what I found. That was the largest setting I found.
13 > Right, so running /var/tmp/portage on a tmpfs definitely won't work on an old
14 > box of mine with only a few MB of memory.
17 Not likely. It may for some smaller packages but not for the large ones
18 for sure.
19
20 When I first built this rig, I only had 8GBs of ram and I could only use
21 it when all the packages to update were smaller ones. Generally, I just
22 left it on a HDD.
23
24 The biggest issue that I run into still, failed emerges are left on
25 there and take up space that the next packages may need. Thing is, they
26 have to be there to see what caused it to fail. Of course, the same
27 thing can happen when on a HDD as well.
28
29 Dale
30
34 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!