From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: meino.cramer@×××.de
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] seq24 fails to comoile
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2010 11:26:56
1 Apparently, though unproven, at 12:01 on Thursday 07 October 2010,
2 meino.cramer@×××.de did opine thusly:
3
4 > Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk> [10-10-07 11:53]:
5 > > On 7 Oct 2010, at 06:40, meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
6 > > >> ...
7 > > >>
8 > > >>> MAKEOPTS="-j 12"
9 > > >>
10 > > >> Arrrrrrrrgh Nooooooooo!!! That's probably your problem right there.
11 > > >> The recommendation in the manual is N+1, where N == number of cores.
12 > > >> Do you have 11 or more cores? I find that even that isn't always
13 > > >> safe. I set...
14 > > >>
15 > > >> MAKEOPTS="-j 1"
16 > > >> ...
17 > > >
18 > > > I made the changes you suggested and now got an different error ... it
19 > > > still does not compile.
20 > >
21 > > Did you reduce it to (the number of cores in your system + 1) or to "-j
22 > > 1"?
23 > >
24 > > If the former, try the latter.
25 > >
26 > > Stroller.
27 >
28 > Yes, I reduces -j <n> to n=1 (why exist this option, if it does not
29 > work?)
32 You misunderstand. The option works just fine and does (correctly) what it is
33 supposed to do.
34
35 Not all software's build systems out there plays nicely with parallel
36 compiles. ooO for instance is really finicky about it.
37
38 You can't blame portage for stupid coding errors that other people make, or
39 stupid configurations that you make.
46 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com