From: Michal 'vorner' Vaner <vorner@×××.cz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] A DNS question.
Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2007 09:25:15
1 Hello,
2 On Sat, Mar 03, 2007 at 04:49:48PM -0800, Bob Young wrote:
3 > Now with regards to eth1, it is my intent to configure eth1 as with the
4 > machines only public IP address (69.12.134.79), and configure BIND to listen
5 > on eth1 as a secondary domain name server, the primary domain name server
6 > would have an "A Record" for 69.12.134.79 and it would be named
7 > ns.somedomainname.com. IOW it would have a different "base" name (ns) than
8 > eth0 (gentoo). My question is whether or not this is valid/"legal"/okay,
9 > i.e. is it likely to cause any problems?
10
11 I do not see why this would be forbidden, however I think it would be a
12 good idea to let gentoo.somedomainname.com resolv to the same IP as
13 ns.somedomainname.com. Or better, ns be a pointer to gentoo (if that is
14 possible, I'm not sure here). It is for clarity and - well, this one is
15 crazy, but it IMO adds to the computer's "personality" and the computer
16 deserves a proper name.
17
18 With regards.
21 Hallowed be the zeroes and ones