From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Poor sound quality
Date: Tue, 04 Jun 2013 07:12:29
1 On Tuesday 04 Jun 2013 00:46:52 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > On 04/06/13 01:47, Chris Stankevitz wrote:
3 > > On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 2:21 PM, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com>
4 wrote:
5 > >> Are you using a self-configured kernel? What sound chip is in your
6 > >> laptop? What driver are you using? If it's an Intel codec, have you
7 > >> tried enabling all different variants of that codec in the kernel?
8 > >
9 > >[...]
10 > >
11 > > 3. I am using the driver CONFIG_SND_HDA_INTEL
12 >
13 > OK, that one is the generic driver. You most probably need to also
14 > enable the specific codec driver for your chip (not all "Intel HD" chips
15 > are the same.)
16 >
17 > The way I figured out which one to enable was to boot Ubuntu from a CD
18 > and then examine the output of "lsmod". There I found which codec
19 > driver it uses. I then enabled that driver in my kernel.
20
21 Only to add that you should also have a quick read at the kernel documentation
22 for alsa/HD-Audio*.txt, where you'll see recommendations like "try to pass
23 `enable_msi=0` option to disable MSI", as well as other configuration options
24 for your particular driver and codec.
27 Regards,
28 Mick