From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: NVMe drive and grub
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2016 05:43:22
1 On Thursday, April 07, 2016 07:41:35 PM Remy Blank wrote:
2 > peter@××××××××××××.uk wrote on 2016-04-07 17:24:
3 > > I have a new box with an NVMe SSD drive attached to the PCI bus via an M.2
4 > > interface. The drive shows up as /dev/nvme0n1, with partitions
5 > > /dev/nvme0n1p1, /dev/nvme0n1p2, ...
6 > >
7 > > After following the instructions in the handbook for a UEFI system, I get
8 > > as far as a kernel panic. Grub finds the kernel and starts it, but it
9 > > seems to be passing a null root device name.
10 > >
11 > > Can anyone offer some advice to help me get past this?
12 >
13 > Make sure you have BLK_DEV_NVME compiled into your kernel (not as a
14 > module), and that you pass the right device name as a root FS to the
15 > kernel. It might also help to use a very recent kernel.
16 >
17 > FWIW, I'm writing this from a laptop that boots from two NVMe devices in
18 > RAID 1 configuration, with kernel 4.4.5.
19 >
20 > -- Remy
21
22 Remy (and others),
23
24 I have been trying to get Gentoo to boot from an NVME device, but I am getting
25 stuck.
26
27 The kernel-config I use will boot when the root-device is on a spinning sata-
28 disk and I can see the NVME device.
29 When using the same config with the root-partition on the NVME, it fails,
30 complaining it can't find the root-partition.
31
32 The NVME driver is loaded into the kernel (not module).
33
34 Does anyone have a working config for a 4.4.6 kernel or any other version that
35 is currently in portage?
36
37 Along with the boot-options being used?
38
39 Many thanks,
40
41 Joost