From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: Gentoo Users List <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] USB *USED TO* work nicely a couple of months ago...
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2005 11:55:59
1 Now it's a struggle...
2
3 1) Main machine, AMD64K8 3000+ (running 32-bit mode). Used to be able
4 to plug in and mount external USB drives and memory cards in the card
5 reader. Now the mount command has to be issued twice, or sometimes even
6 an "fdisk /dev/sdb", in order to wake up the card reader. My
7 "shirtpocket" drive no longer works on the machine, and neither does the
8 big bulky external USB drive.
9
10 2) Emergency backup machine, 6-year-old Dell, 450 mhz PIII (they don't
11 build them like that any more). USB drives used to run (well, with USB
12 v1.1, "crawl" might be more accurate) on that machine. The big bulky
13 external one still does. The "shirtpocket" drive doesn't. I normally
14 store it in my safety deposit box as my "offsite backup".
15
16 I can still backup my main machine to the big USB drive by attaching
17 it to the emergency machine and scp stuff to a temporary directory on
18 the Dell, and then mount the USB drive and copy from the temporary
19 directory at "blazing" USB v1.1 speed.
20
21 I doubt that I had simultaneous failures in one machine's USB system
22 and the shirtpocket USB drive. Anyone have any ideas? Has USB setup
23 changed somehow?
26 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> In linux /sbin/init is Job #1
27 My musings on technology and security at http://tech_sec.blog.ca
28 --