From: Philip Webb <purslow@×××××××××.ca>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Possible new gentoo user
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2006 09:25:34
1 061001 Terry Eck wrote:
2 > Thanks to everyone who responded to my post.
3 > I will give gentoo a try to see how it goes.
4 > my first experience with linux was around 1994 using Slackware 1.2.0.
5 > Back then it was common to configure and compile the kernel for sound.
6
7 You really should have no problem with Gentoo with that experience !
8 You've had a lot of generally sensible advice while I've been asleep (smile).
9
10 I installed Gentoo exactly 3 yrs ago & have never had regrets or problems.
11 Read the installation guide & the manual carefully before you start,
12 have printed copies at hand & follow to the letter what they say.
13 Avoid the GUI installer, which is not a finished product yet.
14 I did a Stage-3 GRP install, which gives you binaries to get started.
15
16 After that, it's upto you how often you update packages:
17 I do 'eix-sync' every Sat to get the list of what's available,
18 check the nice colored list of what's changed during the week,
19 then 'emerge' those which seem to be worthwhile.
20 There are 3 levels of reliability: 'x86' (or whatever your platform is)
21 has become something like Debian 'stable', ie rather conservative;
22 '~x86' sb useable, but perhaps not for basic system items when new;
23 'hard-masked' is only for people willing to test buggy stuff.
24
25 My compiling get done on a separate KDE desktop, while I do other things:
26 Open Office takes 6 hr (overnight), but there is a binary, if you want it;
27 a middle-sized set of KDE pkgs takes perhaps 3,5 hr ;
28 otherwise, the longest compiles are c 1 hr (my CPU is an AMD 2500+).
29
30 Gentoo is for people who want to manage their own boxes:
31 you will need to edit configure files, but they're very well annotated.
32 You should have a reasonably fast CPU , >= 512 MB memory & broadband,
33 tho' some hardy people seem to run Gentoo with smaller resources.
34
35 Let us all know what happens !
39 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb : purslow@××××××××××××××.ca
40 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Centre for Urban & Community Studies
41 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' University of Toronto
42 --
43 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list