From: Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Can we get users more involved in specific testing?
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2013 21:54:36
1 131110 hasufell wrote:
2 > I have often had a hard time to get some random users comment
3 > on certain packages or even assist on some runtime tests.
4 > I don't even know how many people use the package I maintain.
5 > This makes it very difficult on some decisions
6 > when to stabilize non-trivial stuff like media-gfx/blender
7 > or sci-visualization/paraview. I don't use those things on a daily basis.
8 > Would it make any sense to set up some kind of portal
9 > to track at least such delicate packages where we need users
10 > to comment on general stability and especially runtime issues ?
11
12 There are a lot of simple pkgs sitting in 'testing' for a long time
13 -- eg lilo vifm dhcpcd -- , which probably sb moved to stable.
14 I try to stick to 'stable' for vital system stuff,
15 but am prepared to use testing versions of eg KDE + LO ,
16 whose upstream maintenance seems to be very solid.
17 (I never do 'emerge world' without '-Dup' & merge all pkgs individually).
18
19 If it were quick + easy to report somewhere that such pkgs work well,
20 I wb willing to try 'testing' versions a bit more often
21 & try to help the devs with their decision-making.
22 I would not be willing to install red-masked versions of anything.
26 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
27 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
28 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca