From: BRM <bm_witness@×××××.com>
To: Users Gentoo <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] How to update portage offline with minimal impact?
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2008 21:22:47
1 I have a couple Sparc systems. One has been running Gentoo for a long
2 time - installed using Gentoo 2006, not updated since due to the issue
3 I'm about the discuss - and the other is a near identical system that
4 might get Gentoo 2007 installed. Both are on two separate networks and
5 have no communication between them.
6
7 The first system does have some Internet access through a firewall, but
8 it doesn't really work, at least for this purpose; so it's just as good
9 as not having any access at all for this purpose.
10
11 The second system may or may not have Internet access, so for now let's
12 just assume it doesn't. It's really this second system that I want to
13 figure the problem out for.
14
15 In either case, I can't update portage using the normal method of
16 'emerge --sync'. So, I'm trying to figure out a solution that would
17 enable me to update the systems. Under Slackware, I'd just point
18 pkgtool to the CD media and install from that, just like during
19 installation. Is there a similar approach for Gentoo? How do I overcome
20 the source mirror issue too so that the systems don't try to download
21 stuff from the web?
22
23 I could probably host an rsync server on the local systems to host
24 portage, but how would I keep it up to date? Would I simply be able to
25 extract a tarball into the directory rsync is serving up?
26
27 I can get large tarballs or ISOs from other systems to these systems;
28 but they won't be able to download them themselves.
29
30 I noticed the Manual Download info in the FAQ:
31 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/faq.xml#manualdownload
32
33 However, that is not a solution I can use as I might not be the long
34 term maintainer, and I'd like an easier solution as it requires a lot
35 of work to download stuff. I'd like a solution similar to the
36 following:
37
38 # tar xvjf /portage-sources-<data>.tar.bz2 -C /my-portage-sources
39 # tar xvjf /portage-<date>.tar.bz2 -C /my-portage
40 # emerge --sync --portage-source /my-portage
41 # emerge world -vuD --sources /my-portage-sources
42
43 If there isn't a solution, I might look into how to make a solution
44 (not sure).
45
46 TIA,
47