From: David Relson <relson@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] perfect IDE
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 01:51:24
1 On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 16:05:08 +0000
2 Andrei Hanganu wrote:
3
4 > helo group,
5 >
6 > i've been trying the past 2-3 years to find the most usable and nice
7 > ide for c/c++ code writing. I've been through vim/vim + plugins/emacs
8 > + different modes/anjuta/kdevelop/codeblocks/eclipse/netbeans ...
9 > every single one of them has at least one drawback.
10 >
11 > In short words, i am looking for an ide that can do this:
12 > - syntax highlighting
13 > - autocomplete (on the fly, not on demand, and maybe smart? - identify
14 > structures/classes )
15 > - concurrent editing of multiple files (splitting)
16 > - tabs or buffer list
17 > - file browser
18 > - project manager
19 > - symbol list/browser current editing buffer
20 > - regex search/replace
21 > - flexible build options that include scons, not just makefile
22 > - code folding (with detection of blocks)
23 > - lightweight/ergonomic interface (i dislike space being occupied by
24 > the bar that displays the line numbers, with a padding of 10px for
25 > example)
26 >
27 > i don't desire gdb or valgrind integration, but would be a +
28 >
29 > does anyone know the answer to this ultimate question? I keep
30 > comparing different editors with the microsoft's visual studio, that
31 > is not by far as powerful as emacs but it just plain and simple does
32 > the job. They will reach a milestone when the brackets matching will
33 > actually work, but despite small inconveniences, i find it to be very
34 > close to what i am looking for.
35 > kdevelop also seemed very close to what i wanted, but somehow the
36 > fonts or the dpi make it very "crowded", i get very little space for
37 > the code. On the other hand netbeans is a good example of how the
38 > interface should be arranged, but java driven ide tends to stop being
39 > able to respond in tolerable time.
40 >
41 > i am on the edge of despair, and i am willing to try even a commercial
42 > solution.
43 > Anyone had some very positive experience with a specific ide?
44 >
45 > thanks,
46 > Andrei
47
48 I've heard some good things about komodo, though it's not open
49 source and I've not used it.
50
51 David