From: Willie Wong <wwong@×××××××××.EDU>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Speed up `du'
Date: Sat, 24 May 2008 23:23:37
1 On Sat, May 24, 2008 at 04:49:09PM -0500, Penguin Lover reader@×××××××.com squawked:
2 > Is there any way to speed up the du command? I mean short of having
3 > cron run it on target directories and store results. (not really
4 > speeding up but at least not having to wait for a result)
5 >
6 > I've seen various mention of du being slow but don't recall any
7 > mentions of how to speed it up.
8 >
9 > I use Reiserfs with default sizes. In some situations like a large
10 > cache of nntp messages of several GB. I might wait 5-10 minutes or more
11 > for du to get the size of the directory.
12 >
13 > Are there other file systems that can return a result of `du' faster?
14 >
15 > I'm curious how `df' computes sizes so much quicker. Even after
16 > rm'ing a large amount of data... `df' sees the difference right away.
17 >
18 > Or maybe there is some other tool or technique that can quickly tell
19 > me the size of a directory or set of directories.
20
21 I am pretty sure the problem with du is that it actually looks,
22 recursively, at every single file and computes the size that way. So
23 the time you have to wait is mostly due to disk IO (and caching would
24 also explain why if you run du twice in a row the answer returns much
25 more quickly). So, if you know what the bottle-neck directory is (for
26 example, the directory of nntp messages), the tricks in
27
28 http://gentoo-wiki.com/TIP_Speeding_up_portage
29
30 should probably work just as well.
31
32 HTH,
33
34 W
35 --
36 "You're very sure of your facts, " he said at last, "I
37 couldn't trust the thinking of a man who takes the Universe
38 - if there is one - for granted. "
39 Sortir en Pantoufles: up 533 days, 21:55
40 --
41 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list