From: "Arttu V." <arttuv69@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Open Source Family Tree software?
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2008 22:25:17
1 On 11/29/08, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Anyone have any recommendations of something in portage. (Or not in
3 > portage?)
4
5 Wikipedia has some, they've even tried to categorize a bit and made
6 some tables of the basic features:
7
8 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_genealogy_software
9
10 > I found gramps in portage. I did not find Lifelines. I haven't
11 > uncovered any other project names as yet.
12
13 I set up my sister's old Ubuntu box to have gramps installed and (what
14 I've heard) she has been using it successfully for her intermittent
15 lightweight hobby genealogy studies of our relatives from previous
16 centuries.
17
18 I don't actually know much about these genealogy systems, so I don't
19 know if such light-weight use is what you have in mind -- and whether
20 gramps is a major beast or only usable for this kind of "playtoy-use".
23 Arttu V.