From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] NetworkManager OK? kNetworkManager broken? Wireless setup very confusing...
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2010 05:23:10
1 Dump NetworkManager.
2 Use wicd.
3 All these issues just GoAway(tm) with wicd
4 > Hello all,
5 >
6 > Getting very frustrated here. Trying to put the finishing touches on a
7 > new laptop install. I have verified using the CLI that both wired and
8 > wireless networking works fine when I configure manually. As with most
9 > laptops, I would imagine, I will be switching locations often, and
10 > switching between several different networks both wired and wireless.
11 > I thought the thing to do would be to install a slick gui to take care
12 > of this. To that end I installed NetworkManager, and KNetworkManager
13 > as a front-end as I use a KDE desktop. As far as I can tell Network
14 > Manager is working fine, I followed the instructions for setup from
15 > the wiki here[0] and here[1], and it does seem to setup a wired
16 > connection on eth0 just fine. However, I am getting an error upon
17 > trying to start Knetworkmanager:
18 >
19 > " KNetworkManager can not start because the installation is misconfigured.
20 > System DBUS policy does not allow it to provide user settings.
21 > contact your system administrator or distribution.
22 > KNetworkManager will not start automatically in future."
23 >
24 > Not sure why, as per the wiki I added:
25 >
26 > <policy group="plugdev">
27 > <allow send_destination="org.freedesktop.NetworkManager"/>
28 >
29 > <allow send_destination="org.freedesktop.NetworkManager"
30 > send_interface="org.freedesktop.NetworkManager"/>
31 > </policy>
32 >
33 > to /etc/dbus-1/system.d/NetworkManager.conf, and added my user to
34 > plugdev group. Is there something else I'm missing? I'm unsure how to
35 > further troubleshoot. I also tried the NetworkManager plasmoid for
36 > kde, but that is just bombing with a bunch off error messages I can't
37 > read in the 'connections' window.
38 >
39 > I am wondering if I should just uninstall KNetworkManager, and try
40 > nm-applet? Will that even work on a KDE desktop? Will it require
41 > installing boatloads of gnome crap I don't want? Should I chuck the
42 > whole works and use Wicd?
43 >
44 > At this point I'd be happy with pretty much any solution that just
45 > works, I've wasted the better half of the day on this and I'm starting
46 > to think I should just stick to using the CLI...this frustration just
47 > isn't worth it.
48 >
49 > Do any of you folks out there have an easy, simple solution to
50 > configuring wireless that you like? I'm open to any ideas.
51 >
52 > [0] http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/NetworkManager
53 > [1] http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/KNetworkManager
54 > --
55 > Support the mob or mysteriously disappear...
56 > I'm on flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/badcomputer/