From: Ian Zimmerman <itz@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: To all IPv6-slackers among the Gentoo community
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2019 21:22:52
1 On 2019-11-28 18:41, Ralph Seichter wrote:
2
3 > > What am I missing?
4 >
5 > I can't really tell, based on what you posted. Is there an IPv6 Router
6 > Advertisment service running, either on your router or another machine
7 > in your local network?
8
9 Thanks for answering; I got a bit further meanwhile. The first reason my
10 initial tests (following your advice literally) didn't work was that my
11 router does _not_ assign fe80::1 to itself, but rather some other
12 arbitrary address in the fe80 prefix; on close inspection it looks based
13 on the MAC address just like a host is supposed to do. When I ping6 or
14 traceroute6 that specific address, it works.
15
16 Secondly, while the router seems to obtain a delegated prefix from
17 upstream, it doesn't assign any address from that range to the internal
18 interface. The only ipv6 addresses on the internal interface are the
19 link-local address and the ULA address. Is that normal?
20
21 I did enable the router advertisement feature, and I checked that the
22 daemon is running on the router. But I can see no output related to
23 that when I run tcpdump on the desktop system.
24
25 > Here is some data from the Gentoo machine I am currently working on. It
26 > is hosted in a data center and uses a /64 subnet. I obfuscated the IP
27 > addresses, but I'm sure you get the gist:
28 >
29 > # cat /etc/conf.d/net
30 > dns_domain_lo="example.com"
31 > modules="iproute2"
32 > config_enp0s31f6="99.88.77.50/26
33 > 2a01:11:22:33::44/64"
34 > routes_enp0s31f6="default via 99.88.77.1
35 > default via fe80::1"
36
37 ... so you _do_ self-assign a static ipv6 address after all. How do
38 you know it is the right one?
39
40 > In my home network, my FRITZ!Box router assigns both a ULA and a global
41 > scope address to each client, without any manual configuration on the
42 > clients. The optional ULA assignment means that, should my uplink
43 > connection die, the local clients can still talk to each other.
44
45 My router doesn't give me a global address. Its documentation is at the
46 url below and I think I have followed it correctly.
47
48 https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/network/ipv6/start
51 Please don't Cc: me privately on mailing lists and Usenet,
52 if you also post the followup to the list or newsgroup.
53 To reply privately _only_ on Usenet and on broken lists
54 which rewrite From, fetch the TXT record for no-use.mooo.com.