From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Report: Experience with f2fs
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2015 12:31:35
1 On Tue, Feb 24, 2015 at 6:54 AM, Bob Wya <bob.mt.wya@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > I would always recommend a secure erase of an SSD - if you want a "fresh
3 > start". That will mark all the NAND cells as clear of data. That will
4 > benefit the longevity of your device / wear levelling.
5
6 Not a bad idea, though if you're trimming your filesystem (and it
7 supports this), that shouldn't be necessary, and of course a log-based
8 filesystem like f2fs should promote excellent wear leveling
9 automatically by design. Granted, that doesn't help you if an f2fs
10 bug eats your data.
11
12 > Personally having been burned by btrfs I would not try one of these
13 > "experimental" file systems again...
14
15 Well, trying them is one thing, relying on them is something else.
16 I've had a few issues with btrfs in the last year but they've all been
17 of the uptime/availability nature and none has actually caused
18 unrecoverable data loss. It has caused me to start moving back
19 towards the longterm stable branch though as the level of regressions
20 has been fairly high of late.
21
22 However, right now I keep everything on btrfs backed up onto ext4
23 using rsnapshot daily (an rsync-based tool I recommend if you're the
24 sort that likes rsync for backups). So, the impact of a total
25 filesystem failure is limited to availability (granted, quite a bit of
26 it to completely restore multiple TB). That risk is acceptable for
27 what I'm using it for. Another risk would be a silent corruption that
28 persists longer than the number of backups I retain, but I think that
29 is unlikely since silent failures is one of those things btrfs is
30 designed to be good at detecting/preventing, and I've yet to see any
31 reports of this kind of failure which makes me tend to think that if
32 anything there is more risk of a silent corruption impacting my
33 backups (ie I'm contrasting the risk of btrfs quietly storing the
34 wrong content of a file vs the risk of a hard drive bit flip messing
35 up data which ext4 can't detect).
36
37 In general though there is a reason that sysadmins tend to be very
38 conservative with filesystems. I doubt most even jumped onto ext4 all
39 that quickly even though that was very stable from the start of being
40 declared as such. You really need to look at your use case and
41 understand the risks and benefits and how you plan to mitigate the
42 risks. Something being experimental isn't a reason to automatically
43 avoid using it if it brings some significant benefit to your design,
44 as long as you've mitigated the risks. And, of course, if your goal
45 is to better understand an experimental technology in a non-critical
46 setting you should probably just get your feet wet.
47
48 However, what you shouldn't do is just pick an experimental anything
49 as a go-to default for something you want to never have to fuss with.
52 Rich