From: Jim <Jim@×××××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] VIA K8M890/K8M880 (VT8251) supported?
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 22:59:48
1 * on the Sat, Mar 25, 2006 at 10:59:05PM +0100, Jarry said:
2 > Norberto Bensa wrote:
5 > >SATA VT8251 do not work on Linux. There are -very- experimental patches,
6 > >but I've not tried them myself. Return the board and buy anything else
7 > >that's not VIA based.
8 >
9 > I did. Bought nForce4-based board. Got stuck with sata-II drives
10 > (lock-ups, crushes, out-of-sync, both in linux and in windows).
11 > It is a buggy chipset, has problems with nearly all sata-II drives
12 > (tried Seagate and Samsung) and nvidia does not care a sh*t...
13 >
14 > Jarry
15
16 I have an ASRock 939NF4G-SATA2 nForce4 based motherboard. I put a WDC
17 WD1600JS-22M SATA II hard drive in the system. Everything has been
18 workinging perfectly. The drive is very fast and everything onboard
19 works. The system has been very stable.
20
21 The only issue I had with the board was that I couldn't get alsa to
22 work. So I was stuck with NVidia's OSS based nvsound. nvsound does
23 hardware mixing, though a lot of newer programs want alsa. So I
24 recompiled everything to do oss. Today I found a simple fix to get the
25 onboard audio to work by adding the ID to an alsa driver and recompile.
26 Now alsa is up and running.
27
28 I have had nothing but headaches with VIA and ALi in the past.
29
30 This ASRock board is a great value at < $75.
31 --
32 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list