From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: minimal installation CD iso is where?, &&
Date: Sat, 08 Aug 2015 20:50:02
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On 08/08/2015 22:02, Rich Freeman wrote:
3 >>
4 >> It is recommended that users not set an INSTALL_MASK, so you won't
5 >> have to rebuild anything if you don't do that. If you care that much
6 >> about inodes I'd probably get rid of /usr/portage before
7 >> /usr/lib/systemd. :)
8 >>
9 >> On the other hand, setting USE=systemd when you don't intend to use
10 >> systemd is going to be more invasive in general for the packages that
11 >> use that flag. So, you probably wouldn't want to do that.
12 >>
13 >> I'm sure there were about 85 posts on the lists taking your side when
14 >> this was debated before. I'd suggest looking up the threads (about
15 >> two years ago I think) rather than recreating them.
16 >>
17 > Two years? Was it that long ago? Feels like yesterday.
18 >
19 > I recall the discussion well, and it was not pleasant. The only real
20 > voice of sanity throughout was the final statement by the Council, who
21 > very wisely shut up right until the end when it was obvious a definitive
22 > decision was needed.
26 I think I found it. The thread's subject line appears to be: "Making
27 systemd more accessible to "normal" users" The date is about May 2013.
28 At least that is the only thread I can find here locally. My archives
30 and "USE=systemd".
31
32 If someone wants to go dig on Gmane or something, at least you know the
33 subject line to search for and a somewhat good time frame.
34
35 Dale
36