From: Jonas de Buhr <jonas.de.buhr@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Development framework with access restriction?
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2011 06:59:06
1 >> The problem with that is he will need to test his code in the working
2 >> system.
3
4 why in the production system?
5
6 >>I need a way for him to be able to read/write to a certain
7 >> file or files within the working system, but have no read/write
8 >> access to any other files in the system.
9 >>
10 >> Is SFTP perhaps the way to go for this?
11 >>
12 >> - Grant
13 >
14 >For some reason I thought SFTP would provide access control but now
15 >I'm thinking it's just like SSH in that access control is based on
16 >file ownership and permissions?
17
18 yes.
19
20 > If that's the case, can anyone think
21 >of a better way to control remote access to my files than chmod/chown?
22
23 someone already did ;)
24 http://www.gentoo-wiki.info/HOWTO_Use_filesystem_ACLs
25
26 > I think it would be nice if the access control were built into the
27 >transport mechanism, version control system, or something else already
28 >in use, but it doesn't sound like that's going to happen.
29
30 its certainly possible to control the write access with ACLs. read
31 access however is a different story because as soon as his code runs in
32 the context of the webrowser he will likely be able to read the rest of
33 the code.