From: Alan McKinnon <alan@××××××××××××××××.za>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kwrite and CPU usage and locking up when scrolling
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 17:07:54
1 On Monday 26 February 2007, Dale wrote:
2
3 > It may be the wrong tool, but it has always worked before.  I tend to
4 > use what works.  I said this in a reply somewhere before.  By the
5 > time I get good at using a command, like the now extinct etcat, they
6 > change it to something else with a whole different set of options.
7 >  I'm hoping things will settle down then I can learn all this once.
8
9 kwrite is an editor designed to edit smallish files, similar but
10 slightly better than notepad. Like all small editors, it probably loads
11 the entire file into memory before displaying it, and it gets very
12 confused with some contents, thinking that they are blocks of code that
13 can be collapsed.
14
15 The program landscape will never settle down and leave you with a
16 definite set of programs - Linux lives, breathes, grows and evolves
17 almost exactly the way human societies do - always changing, always
18 adapting and never the same in any two places.
19
20 A few base programs you can rely on though - like less. It's a file
21 viewer, designed to make it easy for you to look at the contents of
22 files. It's also the thing that displays man pages. I highly recommend
23 spending the few minutes it takes to get used to using it. It runs from
24 a terminal, which is also worth spending some time to get used to it.
25
26 > Of course, if you wish to share a few commands with options and what
27 > they do, that may help.  I'm not sure I even know what all the
28 > commands are right now.  I got to much on my brain right now.  It is
29 > like mush.
30 >
31 > hmmmm, I have used less for a lot for things but not files this big.
32 >  I could wear out my page down key.  LOL  At least I don't have to
33 > look into the emerge.log very often.  That's good.
34
35 big files the size of emerge.log (8M on my machine) is exactly what less
36 excels at. The most useful key is of course "/" which lets you enter a
37 string of text to search for, then 'q" to quit and "h" displays a help
38 screen
39
40 alan
44 Optimists say the glass is half full,
45 Pessimists say the glass is half empty,
46 Developers say wtf is the glass twice as big as it needs to be?
47
48 Alan McKinnon
49 alan at linuxholdings dot co dot za
50 +27 82, double three seven, one nine three five
51 --
52 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list