From: Jack <ostroffjh@×××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] CPU upgrade and LVM questions.
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2018 21:24:17
1 On 2018.12.06 15:58, Dale wrote:
2 [snip...]
3 > My concern is this tho.  I have my old CPU still installed and
4 > everything is compiled based on that.  So, I'm stable with the old
5 > CPU.  However, when I shutdown, take out the old CPU and install the
6 > new one, I'm concerned it may not boot at all because of the change
7 > or may boot but be very unstable.  I recall years ago being able to
8 > set up the flags in such a way that it can run on virtually any CPU
9 > but it's been a long time ago and I don't know if it is needed or
10 > not.  My hope was, someone did a very similar upgrade and can say for
11 > sure if it works or if I need to do things before changing the CPUs
12 > to make sure I can boot and be stable.  If I can just get a stable
13 > console, I can do a emerge -e world and get the OS inline with the
14 > CPU.  I'm just concerned whether I will have that or not.
15 >
16 [snip...]
17 >
18 > I just don't want to swap CPUs only to find out I've got to swap back
19 > because my system won't boot at all. Heck, it may even fail to load
20 > the kernel itself for all I know.
21 I once made the mistake of getting a whole new (used...) PC and just
22 moved the HDD from the old one to the new, without thinking about any
23 of this. Of course it wouldn't boot at all, because I was switching
24 from an AMD to an Intel CPU and had set all flags accordingly in the
25 old box. In your case, as long as you include any flags necessary for
26 the new CPU, and remove any flags for features the new CPU does not
27 have, you should be good. (I know that sounds simple, but does ignore
28 how you find that info.) Given your two CPUs are relatively close
29 (unless I misread something) there should be little if anything
30 critical to change.
31
32 However, if you have a live DVD, (or on USB stick) that will always
33 boot, and you can then do a chroot and reset flags and start
34 recompiling whatever might fail. I actually think the kernel IS the
35 likely failure if any, but once that boots, you should be good to
36 recompile whatever fails. (Yes, toolchain stuff might be an issue, but
37 again, just boot back to the live DVD.) You may need to reboot a few
38 times, but you won't need to swap the old CPU back in.
39
40 Jack