From: Hans <linux@××××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: new linux router
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2015 15:51:45
1 On 05/03/15 01:10, James wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > It's time to build a new router. Surely, I would just like to
5 > purchase hardware and run a minimized or embedded gentoo on it
6 > along with iptables and a few other packages. But, I got to reading
7 > and well it seems much has changed. Dansguardian is deprecated?
8 > If I add protection above layer 3, what is the best route (pun intended)
9 > to protect some winblows systems? And I need the ability to dynamically
10 > block some gaming sites (kids playing too many hours of video).....
11 >
12 > Then I read about NFtables....... [1]
13 > And there is more. So, being a bit busy what would folks recommend
14 > for purchase (I really do not need another project at this time)?
15 > I've used routers with ebtables in the past too.
18 > I'd like to be able to download some open source linux to the router
19 > hardware if updates and pathces are not maintained by the vendor?
20 > That way I do not purchase something that is to be abandoned in
21 > a few years by the vendor.
22 >
23 > It's just a small home/office so 3x100Mb E would be fine, but GigE
24 > ports would be better. I'm flexible on the CPU/arch of the hardware,
25 > so all discussion and suggestions are welcome. In an idealized world
26 > I'd pay extra for a gentoo_derivative based router; but all I find
27 > is the WRT, devil_linux and such, nothing really cool and interesting.
28 >
29 > Anyone used lilblue or pentoo as the basis for a firewalled_router?
30 >
31 > A purchase is what I really want, but some hacking, if absolutely
32 > necessary, would be ok too. Ideas?
33 >
34 > curiously,
35 > James
36 >
37 > [1] http://netfilter.org/projects/nftables/
41 I use a TP-Link TD-VG3631 ADSL Modem-Router. Has dynamic site blocking
42 etc. GPL Source is available from:
43 www.tp-link.com/resources/gpl/TD-VG3631V1_GPL.tar.gz