From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: distfiles contains extra files?
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2014 04:33:30
1 On 13/08/2014 23:35, James wrote:
2 > Neil Bothwick <neil <at> digimed.co.uk> writes:
3 >
4 >>> Now that I'm looking, it looks like a policy decision for the devs
5 >>> to formally evaluate. /distfiles/ should not be a dir for garbage,
6 >>> one-off-files and other such nonsense.
7 >
8 >> That's exactly what it is for. One-off files that the ebuild downloads,
9 >> uses and then no longer needs. Nothing in $DISTDIR is needed by a running
10 >> system.
13 > Ok so anything needed for a build of a particular package goes into
14 > /usr/portage/distfiles?
15
16 yes
19 > I thought ebuilds use /var/tmp/portage for that.
20 > If in needs to hang around longer (than a /tmp file typically
21 > hangs out for, when not put it under the another logical place.
22
23 no, /var/tmp/portage is the BUILDDIR, not the FETCHDIR.
24 /var/distfiles is permanent so repeated emerges do not cause repeated
25 fetches.
26 The fetched sources are unpacked into /var/tmp/portage and built there,
27 then the whole lot deleted after a successful merge
30 > Like I said I thought /distfiles/ contains compressed sources
31 > and other file needed, all rolled into a common format, like*.bz2.
32 >
33 > It we start (continue) strowing files into /distfiles/ where does it end?
34 >
35 > (folks, it's a philosophical discussion so no need to denegrate into
36 > crudedness), imho.
39 > James
48 Alan McKinnon
49 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com