From: Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] xorg-server-1.5.3 no mouse [solved]
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2009 10:14:06
1 For the record, in case anyone else runs into this,
2 following the Gentoo Upgrade Guild, I chose course (2) to deal with HAL,
3 ie I compiled 'USE="-hal" emerge xorg-server'.
4
5 I encountered 3 problems.
6 (1) xf86-video-intel-2.6.3-r1 failed to compile
7 with a message implying lack of a file 'xf86dri.h' :
8 since I'm using an Nvidia card, not the Intel chip on the mobo,
9 that seems not to be relevant for my needs.
10 (2) after rebooting & entering 'startx', I got a 'no screen' error,
11 which was solved by commenting out the line incl "RgbPath" in xorg.conf .
12 (3) when X finally started, my mouse didn't work: oh no ! --
13 first, I followed the 3rd course from the Upgrade Guide
14 & add 'Option "AutoAddDevices" "false"' to xorg.conf
15 (it shouldn't be needed if you follow course (2) above);
16 that didn't change anything, so I looked at my handwritten list
17 of the pkgs I had installed, which I had numbered as usual,
18 & noticed that 'xf86-input-mouse' was compiled before 'xorg-server':
19 had the former failed to notice '-hal' used with the latter ? --
20 so I recompiled the mouse module & now everything is working as it should.
21
22 Yet again, I was helped by NOT doing a blanket 'emerge world',
23 but compiling (groups of) pkgs individually & making a note of what I did.
24 Also, I could see what was going wrong & fix it much more easily,
25 as I don't boot straight into X , but to a raw console first.
26 Finally, it helps (if you use KDE) to enable keypad cursor movements,
27 tho' I didn't find out how to emulate a mouse click that way.
28
29 HTH & comments welcome.
33 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
34 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
35 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca