From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: mobo and Ati video
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2011 16:51:49
1 On Tuesday 01 March 2011 15:23:38 James wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > I was not certain that this posting is OT, so
5 > I labeled it that way, to keep everyone
6 > happy by default. I've been scrounging
7 > newegg to build a fast (AMD_ATI) workstation
8 > that is also cost effect (much thanks to Dale).
9 >
10 > I'm a bit obsessive, so be forewarned.
11 >
12 > ISSUE:
13 > Ati video (mux/mix)ing video cards:
14 >
15 > Crossfire is but one ati video technology
16 > that allows a mobo to mix(use) multiple
17 > video processors (GPUs) on the same mobo.
18 >
19 > I thought I had found my mobo:
20 > http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3516#ov
21 >
22 > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128435
25 > This snippet gives me pause:
26 >
27 > ATI Hybrid Graphics is a technology umbrella brand encompassing several
28 > technologies, such as ATI Hybrid CrossFireX™, ATI SurroundView™, ATI
29 > PowerPlay™, etc. that allow both an AMD integrated graphics processor and a
30 > discrete graphics processor to work co-operatively on an AMD based system
31 > to provide enhanced gaming performance, productivity and platform
32 > efficiency to the mainstream PC.
33 > * Please use ATI Hybrid CrossFireX certified DX11 VGA card (i.e., ATI Radeon
34 > HD 5450, etc.), detail information please refer to AMD website.
37 > But I want to use this fanless video card:
38 > SAPPHIRE Ultimate 100289UL Radeon HD 5670 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI
39 >
40 > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102902
41 >
42 > Questions:
43 >
44 > So will the onboard ATI 4290 work with the 5670,
45 > under Gentoo?
46
47 you can probably use both - just not in cf-x mode. Because it wouldn't make
48 sense.
49
50 usb3 will work 3x charge won't. All those nifty tools won't work. The bios fan
51 control is ok - could be better. It likes to err on the higher rpm side which
52 means that the fans turn quicker than with fancontrol - or Asus boards.
53 On the other hand, GB boards do work unlike Asus.