From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge --update behavior
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2012 15:57:32
1 On Mon, Jan 2, 2012 at 10:35 AM, Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > On 2012-01-01 6:22 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> 2) I forget the -1 sometimes when I do an individual package update.
5 >> However I generally remember to go back and hand edit the world file
6 >> once a quarter or so and remove anything that isn't a real
7 >> application, etc.
10 > How do you tell which is which?
11
12 I have 947 packages installed, but only 103 lines in my world file.
13 All of those should be files that I explicitly chose to install at one
14 time or another. If I don't recognize a line or I don't know what it
15 does, out it goes. Then I'll run a pretend depclean, see if anything I
16 *want* is being removed, select those packages, and try the depclean
17 again.
18
19 Unless you're a developer, you probably don't need most packages under
20 dev-libs/* or media-libs/* in your world file; any that are actually
21 required should be pulled in as a dependency of something else.
22 --
23 :wq