From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: systemd? [ Was: The End Is Near ... ]
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 23:12:35
1 On Mon, 19 Mar 2012 10:33:11 -0400 (EDT), Bruce Hill, Jr. wrote:
2
3 > > > And for the Lennart fanboi, his coding is
4 > > > so questionable that "Lennartware" has become derogatory slang. (Of
5 > > > course, you already know that.)
6 > >
7 > > And this is such a common term nowadays that when Googling for
8 > > Lennartware only one reference to it turn up on the first page, and
9 > > that is your post!
10
11 > mingdao@workstation ~ $ grep Lennartware irclogs/*
12 > irclogs/#gentoo-dev.log:09:01 <@bonsaikitten> Caster: do you see now
13 > why I don't appreciate Lennartware?
14 > irclogs/#gentoo.log:10:56 <@bonsaikitten> Zaba: Lennartware. Linux
15 > needs to be more like MacOS
16
17 Wow, 2 mentions on IRC - the term really has invaded the English
18 language.
19
20 > <--- 4 references
21
22 Still not enough for Google to see it, barely enough for a contrived
23 allegation.
24
25 > Various other mentions of systemd being nefarious software are mostly
26 > amongst kernel devs and might not use the word "Lennartware", but the
27 > logical reasons why systemd is a _bad_ idea are the same.
28
29 Where does systemd come into it? Gentoo is following udev's upstream
30 requirements. These may have been triggered by udev's support for systemd
31 but that in no way means that systemd is required.
32
33 Greg K-H is also in favour of making /usr available to early boot, are
34 you going to accuse him of shoddy coding too?
38 Neil Bothwick
39
40 "Of course, I could switch back to Windows. At least there, if I have a
41 problem, I don't suffer under the illusion that I could ever fix it." -
42 Unknown (paraphrased)