From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Do we have to build gcc with fortran now?
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2011 20:10:23
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 >
3 > Feedback from the consumer end of the producer-consumer link :-)
4 >
5 > The motivation is fine and well, it didn't quite work out, we call
6 > this a "bug".
7 >
8 > The only real mistake was trying to slipstream it in without
9 > notification or warning. devs all agree we should never do this, but
10 > it is so ... tempting.
11 >
12 > I've made the same mistake myself many many times, and each time it
13 > came back and bit me hard :-)
18 What I like is the speed it got corrected. People that don't sync often
19 most likely didn't even know it ever changed.
20
21 Another like, a dev that at least reads some of this stuff on -user.
22 It's a good way to get feedback. If you change something and it doesn't
23 get mentioned, most likely all is well. If it does get mentioned, may
24 want to rethink the change.
25
26 Lessons learned the hard way are the ones we remember the longest. ;-)
27
28 Dale
29