From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Backups and snapshots [Was: Organising btrfs subvolumes]
Date: Tue, 27 May 2014 15:32:29
1 On Tue, May 27, 2014 at 11:21 AM, J. Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > Does anyone know how these will handle (and perform) with a possible 300+
3 > snapshots per filesystem (or volume, as I think it's called)?
4
5 I can't speak for zfs. I had upwards of 1000 snapshots on my system
6 before I stopped creating them hourly and and just started having
7 issues with it.
8
9 I wouldn't really say it is ready for prime time, but it is workable.
10 Of course, you'll still want backups - a million snapshots does you no
11 good if some bug wipes out your filesystem. For one of my ENOSPC
12 incidents I ended up just wiping the entire filesystem and restoring
13 from backup, though if I kept at it I'd probably have been able to fix
14 it.
15
16 Oh, one other tip if you use btrfs - be sure you have a rescue disk
17 that supports it. Hint, the old Gentoo install CD I had lying around
18 didn't. You'll probably want to keep a rescue CD with a recent kernel
19 and btrfs-tools handy at all times.
20
21 Rich