From: "Jesús Guerrero" <i92guboj@×××××.es>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Nvidia users: please sign petition for open/free drivers
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2008 02:23:20
1 On Tue, 1 Jan 2008 19:51:36 +0100
2 "Hemmann, Volker Armin" <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de> wrote:
3
4 > On Montag, 31. Dezember 2007, Enrico Weigelt wrote:
5 > > Hi folks,
8 > > I'd just want to let you know there's an petition to NV on
9 > > opening their driver code (or at least specs) to the free world:
10 > >
11 > > * http://www.petitiononline.com/nvfoss/
12 >
13 > no, 'online petitions' are a worthless waste of time. They are like a fart in
14 > the wind - just worse. They are like farting and then tell everybody that you
15 > have farted. You are just angry that your beloved, but maybe crappy hardware
16 > does not work with a driver that is pretty old by now.
17
18 Not true. It is true that a petition by itself will not do anything,
19 but it serves another purposes. Any joining effort demonstrates that
20 people actually care about a problem. And, by the way, if you fart,
21 the less you can do is to be honest, and not blame anyone else while
22 you are the only guilty.
23
24 This is not about old or new hardware, this is about getting a free
25 driver, and that, as linux users, is something that would benefit
26 everyone in this list. You don't seem to understand what this is
27 about at all.
30 > > Please sign the petition and spread around this link.
31 >
32 > Please don't spam.
33
34 We could argue if this topic is valid for the list or not, that is
35 debatable, but everything you wrote above this last sentence is pure
36 spam. Far more spammy than the post of the original poster. And, in
37 turn, you generated a need for additional responses, like the one from
38 Neil Walker and this one that I am writing right now.
39
40 Thing that could have been avoided if you just posted something in
41 the lines of "Isn't this offtopic?", and nothing more.
42
43 Regards.
44 --
45 Jesús Guerrero <i92guboj@×××××.es>