From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Debian just voted in systemd for default init system in jessie
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2014 18:18:59
1 On Sun, Feb 23, 2014 at 7:35 AM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2 [ snip ]
3 > I am not sure if people object to the Lennart-way of messing up Linux, under
4 > the blessings of RHL, or if they just don't like the immediate outcome.
5
6 Actually, most people that actually *try* using systemd and reads how
7 it works have no problems with it, and of those there are many (like
8 me) who actually quite like it.
9
10 > Essentially, in his arrogance Lennart only needs to code things the way *he*
11 > sees as useful or expedient to him and his pay masters. In doing so he throws
12 > the *nix way of developing software out of the window and creates a convenient
13 > for him monolith. Wherever he can't be bothered to do a neat and versatile
14 > job he makes his own arguably option-limiting decisions and thus we have
15 > arrived to today's flavour of systemd-udev-pulseaudio-gnome and whatever else
16 > he will try to weld in tomorrow. He found like minds in Sievers et al and
17 > money from RHL helped them get there.
18
19 And he also found like minds in some of the kernel developers, and
20 some people from OpenSUSE, and Arch, and Debian, and Gentoo, and even
21 Ubuntu, and old Linux gurus like Keith Packard and Neil Brown[1].
22
23 > It ain't pretty and architecturally does not follow the *nix design
24 > principles, but as Canek says, those who can code better should step up to the
25 > plate and redesign systemd as it should have been done from the start for the
26 > benefit of Linux, without making the design compromises that Lennart has
27 > decided suit him. I don't know if forking systemd is easy, but no one has so
28 > far decided to do so.
29
30 I don't think forking would attract much developers. Writing something
31 new trying to follow "the*nix design principles", but being modern and
32 with the same features (all of them optional, of course) of systemd
33 will have more chances; although I think it will fail because most of
34 the people that can code "better" actually like the systemd design,
35 and would prefer to contribute to it.
36
37 And if you found enough of this mythical good-coders, good luck
38 defining what it means "the*nix design principles".
39
40 > Given the title of this thread I fear that those of us who can't code, will
41 > increasingly find our choices becoming limited, because more and more
42 > functionality is hacked inextricably into systemd and friends. It's probably
43 > too early to call if Gentoo will remain one of the few options in Linux that
44 > do not use systemd, but decisions taken upstream (for example initrd for
45 > separate /usr) are affecting some us already.
46
47 First of all, Gentoo uses systemd if the user so desires (like I do).
48
49 Secondly, no one has proposed (AFAIK) systemd as the default init
50 system for Gentoo, and I don't think no one will in the short term
51 future.
52
53 And to finish, the fact is that people are using systemd because it
54 works, the design if good (it can be improved, of course; everything
55 can), and it has attracted a really large flock of talented developers
56 around it.
57
58 No other option offers any interest for people trying to develop new
59 cool things and design new standards; the only similar (albeit much
60 more limited in scope) alternative was Upstart, and I personally don't
61 think it will be maintained for much longer, except for bugs and
62 security vulnerabilities; it will have no new features.
63
64 In general the people not wanting to use systemd don't even care about
65 its features; they only want the good old SysV (or OpenRC here in
66 Gentoo), and that nobody touches their systems.
67
68 Since OpenRC is the default in Gentoo, and I don't think that will
69 change anytime soon, they can have that.
70
71 Regards.
72
73 [1] http://lwn.net/Articles/584176/