From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Yikes, replacing sata 200gb with Sata 750gb .. no bootsky.
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2009 16:50:13
1 Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> writes:
2
3 >> So installed jumper on 5-6 and booted up. I still get the same kind of
4 >> hang at the point where the adaptec PCI card throws up a screen.
5 >>
6 >> Press F3 to enter configuration utility
7 >> Primary channel: WDC WD200-blah 19082 MB <= old 200gb drive
8 >> Secondary channerl: WDC WD750-blah
9 >>
10 >> No size given on the new drive, like it cannot read the drive size.
11 >> And no further progress seems possible. Pressing F3 has no effect.
12 >
13 > I found the following page which would agree with pins 5-6 meaning
14 > what I was suggesting:
15 > http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2534
16 >
17 > I also found this page which mentions your Adaptec card does not work
18 > with 750GB Seagate drives -- so maybe that card is the source of your
19 > problems. http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/hcl/data/components/details/801.html
20
21 That is kind of a drag because I bought this card due to having found
22 it on that very HCL... It was only 1 user who reported it and on
23 specific hardware... I don't remember what now but do remember that it
24 didn't match mine very well ... but I tried it anyway since its very
25 difficult to find a sata controller for my hardware there.
26
27 > Are you using the latest BIOS for the Adaptec card? It looks like the
28 > chipset is Silicon Image 3112A and the latest BIOS on SI's website is
29 > 4.2.84. http://www.siliconimage.com/support/
30
31 You sure do excellent research! And fast.
32
33 I don't know about the bios and don't really have a clue how to find
34 out but maybe investigating the support page you cited will get me
35 started down that route.
36
37 But the Seagate thing sounds pretty bad... and likely to mean its a
38 nogo.