From: Holger Hoffstaette <holger@×××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: how to downgrade to old fetching indicator?
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 21:20:02
1 On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 21:52:14 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2
3 > On Tuesday 28 October 2008 21:11:05 Andrew Gaydenko wrote:
4 >> Hi!
5 >>
6 >> How to "downgrade" to old fetching indicator (single-line instead of
7 >> multiple lines)?
8 >
9 > This has been bugging me for a long time as well, I'd really liek to know
10 > what's going on.
11
12 Despair not! Read on! :)
13
14 > 'ps ax' while emerge is downloading shows the full wget command used -
15 > it's FETCHCOMMAND from make.conf. The identical command on the command
16 > line produces the old output. Adding the wget option --progress=bar to
17 > FETCHCOMMAND changes nothing, but it is the correct option to influence
18 > this behaviour.
19
20 Almost there!
21
22 > It seems like perhaps FETCHCOMMAND is no longer the applicable setting in
23 > make.conf...
24
25 It is, but with a twist. Read the wget manpage again, and you'll find:
26
27 [..] when the output is not a TTY, the "dot" progress will be favored
28 over "bar". [..]
29
30 So putting --progress=bar:force into FETCHCOMMAND/RESUMECOMMAND does the
31 trick. Maybe this was done for the --jobs option or a change in background
32 process logging to a file? No idea but the trick works for me.
33
34 Holger