From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] MOSTLY FIXED: Re: apache2 without DNS?
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 20:14:05
1 Michael Stewart (vericgar <vericgar <at> gentoo.org> writes:
4 > Are you looking for the URL you need to type in your browser to get to
5 > the setup script? Assuming that you haven't changed the DocumentRoot
6 > setting, try using http://192.168.2.9/htdocs/admin/setup.php
9 Well, I tried the installation from fresh and now I can get to the
10 setup.php page, but I still have a few questions.
11
12 During the installation I made these changes, which I'll post to bugzilla
13 about the document's installation instructions:
14
15 As user postgres, following the install guide, I issued this command:
16 initdb -D /var/lib/postgresql/data
17
18 which failed:
19 initdb: could not create directory "/var/lib/postgresql": Permission denied
20
21 I had to 'chmod 777 /var/lib' to allow the installation to progress.
22
23 Is this OK? a security/problem ?
24
25 Then it said:
26
27 The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user
28 "postgres".
29 This user must also own the server process.
30
31 Which 'server process' is it referring to and what does this mean,
32 exactly? What else, if anything do I need to do?
35 The message then ended with:
36 WARNING: enabling "trust" authentication for local connections
37 You can change this by editing pg_hba.conf or using the -A option the
38 next time you run initdb.
39
40 Success. You can now start the database server using:
41
42 postmaster -D /var/lib/postgresql/data
43 or
44 pg_ctl -D /var/lib/postgresql/data -l logfile start
47 I never did either of these, unlike last time, and the installation
48 completed with only one more modification. However, I'm not sure
49 if I need to add these to some config file somewhere? Or is the
50 postgres startup file ok at this point? I guess I also need to
51 figure out the authentication using the 'pg_hba.conf' file?
54 Then I just exited from user postgres and completed the installation.
55
56 Further on in the installation:
57
58 This failed:
59 'psql template1 postgres <
60 /usr/portage/net-analyzer/jffnms/files/postgresql_db_tables'
61
62 so I had to use:
63
64 'psql template1 postgres <
65 /usr/portage/net-analyzer/jffnms/files/postgresql_db_table'
69 that's it, but those above questions are still in need of an answer.
70
71 thanks,
72 James
77 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list