From: Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Easiest way to block domains?
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2017 14:52:51
1 On 08/30/2017 07:42 AM, Ian Zimmerman wrote:
2 > On 2017-08-30 09:32, Mick wrote:
3 >
4 >>> Unfortunately this isn't a viable strategy because typically you
5 >>> will, in a few months, if not a single month, spend more in
6 >>> electricity costs than you would purchasing a new single board
7 >>> computer.
8 >
9 >> Perhaps in a commercial 24x7x365 high compute cycle application this
10 >> would hold water, but in the case of a home PC running 14 hours a day
11 >> at maximum power you might save enough to buy a small spinning SATA
12 >> drive after a year, or a Raspberry Pi without peripherals, but not a
13 >> new PC. Of course, if:
14 >>
15 >> 1. your PC is not running at full speed all the time;
16 >> 2. it is not a PentiumD dual core (were they the most power hungry?);
17 >> 3. you're not still running a CRT monitor;
18 >> 4. you tend to suspend to RAM when not in front of it;
19 >> 5. a new PC is not at least 50% more efficient;
20 >> 6. the price of electricity is not exorbitant (I pay approximately
21 >> £0.13/KWh + £0.29/day)
22 >>
23 >> then you will need other reasons to upgrade. When the PC you're using
24 >> is a laptop, then the case for upgrading on grounds of savings on
25 >> electricity costs alone is even more tenuous.
26 >
27 > Also: how long is the replacement going to last? Anything with flash as
28 > the main storage will be back at the recycling station (ideally) within
29 > a couple of years. This includes all the consumer routers I've ever
30 > had, including the beloved blue Linksys.
33 This is the reason I was looking into a UBNT router for my home - if you
34 pop the cover off it has a USB port with a stick plugged in. Stick
35 fails, insert a new one and do a recovery. There's several threads on
36 their forums where this has happened and users successfully replaced the
37 USB thumb drive and were back up and running. That it can route at near
38 gigabit speeds doesn't hurt its chances either.
39
40 Dan